- Five Extended Warranty Tips
The average new car costs over $25,600. With that cost, owners expect trouble-free operation and longer vehicle life..
- Read the Federal Reserve’s New Rules for Credit Card Companies
The Federal Reserve’s new rules for credit card companies mean new credit card protections for you..
- Find and purchase appliance parts.
Affordable Bathroom Remodeling Tips for Homeowners
Although bathrooms are usually the smallest rooms in a house, remodeling one is a very big job. If you are prepared and informed, your bathroom renovation can result in a space that is not only functional, but also a relaxing retreat.
Proper, thorough planning is a necessary first step in any bathroom remodeling project. Vague ideas – even good ones – cannot substitute for scale drawings. You must determine which fixtures you want, and what other materials and how much of them you need. Although all of these items might not be immediately required, it will be helpful to have easy access to them to double check your plan as you progress through the project.
If you are going to enlist the assistance of a contractor for your bathroom renovation, ask your friends, family, and coworkers for their recommendations. As is the case with hiring any home renovation professionals, you will want to speak to several contractors before choosing the one for your project. Ask each potential contractor for references and review their recent work before obtaining quotes. You will need to establish a definitive date for the job’s completion and penalties in case that date is not fulfilled. All fees and conditions should be agreed upon and stated in your contract.
Do It Yourself?
If you do not have any experience with home renovations, a bathroom remodel might not be the best project to start with. If there are only a few areas you are not comfortable tackling yourself, such as plumbing or electricity, hiring a sub-contractor to complete that particular task is an option. Keep in mind that a job done correctly the first time is almost always less expensive then a job that must be redone.
Most bathroom remodeling projects have a few main elements in common, and each item entails some certain considerations.
- Tiling is a major surface in any bathroom, and it is not exactly easy to change. Therefore, it is important to choose tiles that will be aesthetically appealing in the long term. Neutral colors such as white and classic shapes such as subway tiles are almost certain to stand the test of time. The floor tiles should complement your shower tiles, but they do not necessarily need to match.
- These days, most homeowners and homebuyers prefer a separate bathtub and standup shower. It is important to consider the needs of your household, as well as resale value if you plan to sell your home in the future.
- Sinks come in several forms, such pedestal or vanity units. Pedestals are sleek and do not take up a lot of space, while vanity units provide extra storage for toiletries. If your bathroom will be used by two or more members of your family consistently, you might want to consider dual sinks so that two people can brush their teeth, wash their faces, and so on at the same time.
- Storage is another vital element of any bathroom. Linens, toiletries, and other items need a place to be put away – a closet, wall shelving, or a mirrored cabinet are all options that can be worked into your bathroom remodeling plan.