- How To Use Skype As A Free Internet Phone
Watch a video on how to use Skype to make free internet phone calls..
- Read the Federal Reserve’s New Rules for Credit Card Companies
The Federal Reserve’s new rules for credit card companies mean new credit card protections for you..
- Get on the "Do Not Call" list to stop telemarketers.
Home Remodeling - Minor Changes Can Yield Major Results
Simple upgrades can breathe new life into a home, whether you are trying to sell it or simply enhance it for your own enjoyment. With a little effort, creativity, and know-how, you can make minor home improvements that will impress your family, friends, or even buyers - without having to empty your wallet. Here are some minor remodels that will give you the most bang for your buck.
Making a home more "green" will actually save some green in the long run. Using energy-efficient materials cuts down on heating and cooling costs. These eco-friendly minor home repairs can increase the value and efficiency of your home:
Making a home more "green" will actually save some green in the long run. Using energy-efficient materials cuts down on heating and cooling costs.
- Upgrade insulation from fiberglass or cellulose to safer, greener materials such as recycled denim, sheep wool, icynene, and nanogel/aerogel/kalwall. This minor remodel can improve your energy consumption, comfort, and health.
- Repair or replace old, single-pane, or outdated windows with double-pain windows to keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Upgraded windows also cut down on condensation and help protect you and your home’s interior from the damaging effects of the sun.
- Caulk the areas of your home that need to be sealed and protected. Using caulk to seal the edges of your doors and windows is a minor home repair that can help prevent energy loss. Calking also preserves and improves the look of areas that have cracks, water damage, or unevenness.
Installing classic, timeless crown molding is a minor home improvement that can add polish and sophistication in any size home. Framing ceilings, doors, and windows with molding draws the eye upwards, emphasizing ceiling height and adding impact to a space. Also consider replacing aged, builder-grade baseboards, which are often underwhelming and don’t add any visual interest. A wider baseboard with a fresh coat of paint can enliven a room.
Finer Flooring and Fixtures
Dated, worn, or dirty flooring severely detracts from the aesthetic appeal of a home. If your carpet is covering preserved hardwood, you can remove the carpet and refinish the wood for clean, classic look. This minor remodel can last decades and add value to your home. If the tiling in your kitchen or bathroom is chipped or otherwise unappealing, replacing it with modern, neutral tile with fresh grout is a minor home improvement that can totally transform the look of the room. Colored fixtures such as blue toilets and pink bathtubs are eyesores that can be fixed with minor remodels. Reglaze colored tubs and upgrade to white sinks and toilets for a cohesive look that will stand the test of time.
Take It Outside
Minor remodels can greatly improve the outside of a home as well. Some of the most common remodels are roof replacement, siding replacement, and storm doors and windows. Adding a deck to your home increases living and entertaining space and is visually appealing. All of these minor improvements add to the comfort and efficiency of your home.